Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Theme for Spanish and ETC.

Okay, since we recieved an assignment pertaining to the question of how we are going to present to our spanish class, a tutorial if you must that shows how to do a particular subject. Many ideas proposed was how to play chess, how to do yoga, etc... However, finding a subject that I am passionate about is very hard because there are things that I dive into and others that I just dip my feet in the water to test the temperature. Since I cannot figure out a theme, I will sidetrack myself into talking about a lesson that I had today in Theory of Knowledge. It was whether animals have or do not have language. In this case, there were three definitions of language. I believe that animals do have language because although it may sound primitive and foreign to us, we can try to hone our hearing ability so as to decipher that contents that the animals speak. It is just the same as hearing a eastern European language when you are an American. It is very foreign sounding and at first it does not make any sense because you cannot comprehend it. However if you took the time to learn the intricacies of the language, then you can figure out the language. Same goes for animals. Animals are living organisms and we only base language as a reference to ourselves. When we say that one subject does not have a language, then we are basing this statement on ourselves as a species. If we can consider ourselves a species and not as a superior being, then the similarities are quite obvious. One example is that one of my friends named Eliza, she discussed about how the behavior of cats is completely opposite of the typical human stereotype of cats. They only purr and meow towards humans and not towards each other. Why is that? It is because they use a body language of their own to communicate with each other. And thus we come to a Knowledge Issue. What do we consider to be communication and what do we consider language? The details are very hard to separate but communication is when you are using your body and physical gestures to speak with others. Language is a form that can be transmitted through words and be written on paper. Actions can be described in words written down or spoken but can not be fully explained in words or by speaking. And I have come to the conclusion that animals do have a language and that the reference to which we based our statements from is false.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Gah Minh, you write too much! Get back to your Spanish homework!

Tehe. Just kidding. I really should spend so much time reading blogs